Like a lot of organizations, we had some spring clean-ups planned that are no longer feasible. But that doesn’t mean we wanted to give up entirely on hosting environmental clean-ups. Instead of hosting an event where we all gather together, we’re hosting a virtual clean-up that will take place wherever you are located!
Please, only participate if the COVID-19 guidelines for your area allow you to be outside for exercise and walks. Follow all rules and guidelines in place for your area.
The first virtual clean-up is THIS SATURDAY, April 18. We wanted to make up for the event we were supposed to have last weekend and celebrate Earth Day a little early.
Here’s how this will work:
1. Get together with your quarantine buddies (AKA the people you live with, not anyone else).
2. Join us for the virtual kick off live from Joceanic’s Facebook at 10 a.m. Saturday.
3. After the kickoff, or whenever you can, go for a walk. Wear gloves and bring along trash bags to pick up any trash you see.
4. Once you return home, immediately properly dispose of your gloves or throw them in the washing machine along with the clothes you have on.
5. Disinfect any surfaces or items you may have touched while wearing the gloves.
1. Wear protective gloves! Depending on what trash you’re picking up, you might need more heavy duty gloves to protect yourself.
2. Bring along multiple bags if you can and place items that are recyclable, and clean enough, in one bag and all the other items into a separate bag.
3. Only go where you are allowed to! There are lots of guidelines in place right now and safety is the priority. Don’t break any rules or jeopardize your safety for this. Unfortunately, there will still be trash to pick up once this is over, so we’ll see you then!
4. Document your clean-up with a photo or video and post using the hashtag #VirtualJoceanic or tag us on social media and we’ll share your images!
5. Stay safe, stay healthy and have fun!